Seek out the 0riginal by Tracy Chapman.
I heard M. Combs version several times on a recent road trip. It is fine and pleasant and staid. It lacks the essence and latent energy of the original. It would have been interesting if M. Combs could have done something new with it.
As it is, it is a song written and performed by a Black woman precisely covered by a White man, apparently on purpose.
Aside from that, I remember my Mom being enamored of the song and M. Chapman when Fast Car was released. I didn’t care for it, I said. But I did. Then when Give Me One Reason came out, how could I not give voice to my enjoyment?
The Papa Jojo Radio Show is on another semi-indefinite time off until it’s not a hiatus any more.
In the mean time, I’ll post about about music that I love and care about.
Stay Strong, my friends!
Share and Enjoy,
The Papa Jojo Radio Show needs to take a break for a spell, with plans to be back in late March or early April. This site and the various socials will be here if any y’all got a question, comment, or consternation.
In the mean time, keep listening to The Wall.
Share and Enjoy!
The day job needs me to work late tonight, so no Papa Jojo Radio for you, sadly. The system does a pretty good job of queueing up songs that I might play between 6-9P ET, so tune in to WAWL.org. Stay strong!
Welcome back to the show! It was rough for all of us being off last week, but it was worth it (for me 😼). My sweetie and I were in New Orleans last week. We caught some Mardi Gras parades (Cork and Barkus), ate a lot of good food, and heard some sweet music.
Which you’ll have to tune in for next week, where I’ll probably do some NOLA music for the most Mardi of Gras. In the mean time, check out some of the new music I’ve got for y’all this week.
I’ll also talk a bit about Riverbend and the acts announced on Friday and maybe some other stuff. As always, the post will be updated throughout the show with the tracks played.
Share and Enjoy!
UPDATE: Sadly I have to leave early. Keep listening as I programmed some nice tunes for y’all.
The Six O’Clock Hour
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs – Wolf
- Beck – Thinking About You
- Angel Olsen – All The Good Times
- Sharon Van Etten – Mistakes
- Shovels & Rope – St. Anne’s Parade
- Alabama – Song of the South
- Elle King – America’s Sweetheart
- Derek and the Dominos – I Looked Away
- Silvers Pickups – Empty Nest
- Soccer Mommy – Feel It All The Time
- Sundays, The – Here’s Where The Story Ends
- Alvvays – Pharmacist
I’m out of town this week, so no show. Looking forward to next week’s show already. Hope you are, too.
Virginia-based musician James Goodson — aka Dazy — sings most often in a voice that’s high and urgent. His version of power pop is noisy, ragged, full of feedback and clatter — and irresistible.
I hope this Thursday finds y’all well and ready for some tunes. Tonight I have a collection of the tastiest tunes for you to shove into your ear holes. No theme, just songs. We have some live treats from late night TV, from a Tiny Desk, and other live venues.
UPDATE: Fin. Something came up. I left early.
The 6 O’Clock Hour
- R.E.M. – Begin The Begin
- They Might Be Giants – Istanbul (Not Constantinople)
- David Byrne – Like Humans Do
- Guadalcanal Diary – Pray For Rain
- St. Vincent – Digital Witness
- Wolf Parade – You Are A Runner And I Am My Father’s Son
- The Clash – Rock the Casbah
- Alvvays – Belinda Says (Live on the Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon)
- The Raconteurs – Steady As She Goes
- The Black Keys – Baby I’m Coming Home
- Uncle Tupelo – Fifteen Keys
- Decemberists – Down By The River
- Nirvana – Lake of Fire
- John Prine – Your Flag Decal Won’t Get You Into Heaven Anymore
- The Beths – Expert In A Dying Field
- Dropkick Murphys (w/ Nikki Lane) – Never Git Drunk No More
- Seth Avett – Good Morning Coffee
The 7 O’Clock Hour
- Warren Zevon – Desperadoes Under The Eaves
- Sole Inspiration – Life
- The Heavy – Hurricane Coming
- King Tuff – Rock River
- Half Alive – Did I Make You Up?
- Hermanos Gutierez – Tres Hermanos (Live on NPR Tiny Desk)
- John Lee Hooker – Boogie Chillen
- H.C. McEntire – New View
- boygenius – $20
- Head and the Heart – Every Shade of Blue
- boygenius – Emily I’m Sorry
- Brandi Carlile – The Mother
- boygenius – True Blue
- Pink Floyd – San Tropez
- Reverend Organdrum – Ain’t That A Kick In The Head
The 8 O’Clock Hour
- Hindu Radio Gods – Raspberry Beret (Prince cover)
- David Bowie – Starman
- Beabadoobee – The Perfect Pair